All participants are incur a $50 audition fee payable by MasterCard, Visa or American Express during sign-up.
- For a Live Audition, you must apply no later than Friday, February 8th, 2019.
- For a Recorded Audition, you must apply and have your recording in no later than Friday, March 22nd, 2019.
(scroll down to learn more and for application link)
AUDITION DATES & LOCATIONS
Thursday, February 28th @ 10:30am to 1:30pm
University of British Columbia
Room #301, 6361 Memorial Road
Thursday, February 28th, 2019 @ 10AM to 5PM
Brott Music Festival Offices
301 Bay Street South, Hamilton
Friday, March 1st , 2019 @ TBA
Wilfrid Laurier University, Music Building
75 University Ave W, Waterloo, ON N2L 3C5
Thursday, March 21st, 2019 @ 11:00AM to 4:00PM
Ottawa University, Perez Hall
50 University Private
Ottawa, ON K1N 6N5
Saturday, March 23rd, 2019 @ 8:00AM to 10:30PM
Conservatory of Music
Orchestra Rehearsal Room Rm 1155
4750 Henri-Julien Ave
Montreal, PQ H2T 2C8
For Strings, Wood Winds and Brass
Prepare 4 contrasting orchestral excerpts of your choice:
- Try and choose excerpts that would be found on most professional orchestral audition lists. i.e. Violins – Don Juan, Brahms 1 opening, Mozart 39 4th mvmt, Schumann 2 Scherzo etc.
- You may want to include a few excerpts from the repertoire we will be performing in the upcoming season.
Prepare 1 solo selection of your choice:
- You may choose to do the exposition of a concerto or the entire movement, it is up to you.
- Try to avoid choosing obscure things, we would prefer things that are commonly performed on professional orchestral auditions ei. Violins, a solo Bach or a movement from a Mozart Violin concerto.
When filling out the online application, select Live Audition in the city you wish to perform in. Once the application deadline has passed, we will contact you to let you know if live auditions will be happening in your city of choice. We guarantee live auditions in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, but other cities we require a minimum of 6 participants to proceed.
You will be asked for your audition time preference as we try to accommodate you as best as possible. Please arrive at your audition at least 15 minutes prior to fill out the necessary paper work.
Recorded Auditions for Instrumentalists: (excluding percussion)
Should you be unavailable for a live audition we encourage you to send in recorded submissions. Please read and follow the guidelines carefully for a recorded audition.
- Fill out our online audition application and request recorded submission, you can attach the recording link at the end of the application if you wish.
- We prefer video recordings.
- All excerpts must be recorded in one take, no splicing allowed.
- You solo selection can be recorded on a separate take or be recorded at a different time. For example, you can use a recording from a final recital that was previously recorded.
- We prefer recordings to be email to us, either using Drop Box, Google Docs or as an attachment file. Please make sure your file is compatible with a PC computer, and not MAC.
- Please included your name, instrument and a list of what you are applying for in an email or mailed along with your DVD.
- We will accept dvd recordings mailed to us but they must arrive on time to be considered.
Special Requirements for Conducting Applicants
Conducting applicants will not be granted live auditions so please read the following instructions carefully:
Video Recording Requirements
Fill out the online application and request a recorded submission. You can attach the link to your recordings at the end of the application if you wish.
- No more than 30 minutes total.
- Footage should be of rehearsals AND performances.
- Very important that you have footage in front of an ochestra.
- Applicants should show a variety of skills.
- Multiple selections if possible.
- Camera must be face on.
- Good quality audio recommended.
- Please include your name and list of what you are playing in an email or mailed in with your DVD.
- We prefer recordings to be emailed to us, either using Drop box, Google Docs or as an attachment file. Please make sure your recording is compatible with a PC computer and not MAC.
- Please clearly mark the DVD with applicant’s name, track titles and composer and title of each selection. (If sending a DVD)
Special Requirements for Percussionists
Due to the difficulties of having percussion equipment available for all live auditions, we do not offer this option for percussionists. You must therefore send us a recorded submission. Please follow the instructions for your recorded submissions carefully.
Your recorded submission must include the following:
- One (1) solo work.
- Three (3) timpani excerpts.
- Two (2) keyboard excerpts.
- One (1) snare drum excerpt.
- One (1) other standard excerpt.
- Please indicate if you have experience on drum set; if so, include an example on the audition recording (not required, but preferred).
- Please use standard orchestral excerpts.
- DVD is preferred for percussion applicants.
- Fill out the online application and indicate a recorded submission, you can attach the link to your audition material at the end of the application if you wish.
- It is preferred that material be email using either Drop Box, Google docs or as an attachment but you can mail a dvd if you prefer.
- Please include your name, instrument and what you are playing in an email or mailed in with your dvd.
- Should you choose to mail your material in, please send it to:
National Academy Orchestra
301 Bay Street South
Hamilton ON L8P 3J7
If mailing from out of the country, please make sure your package is declared as having no value. We will not pay duty or taxes on packages - they will be sent back.