There is a $75 to $100*audition fee payable by MasterCard, Visa or American Express during sign-up.
*If you applying prior to January 1st, 2021 the fee is $75. If you apply after January 1st, 2021 the fee is $100
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we will not be offering live auditions this year. For a recorded audition, applications and recordings are due no later than Friday, February 26th, 2021.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic we will not be offering live auditions this year.
For a recorded audition, applications and recordings are due no later than Friday, February 26th, 2021.
For Strings, Wood Winds and Brass
Prepare 4 contrasting orchestral excerpts of your choice:
- Try and choose excerpts that would be found on most professional orchestral audition lists. i.e. Violins – Don Juan, Brahms 1 opening, Mozart 39 4th mvmt, Schumann 2 Scherzo etc.
- You may want to include a few excerpts from the repertoire we will be performing in the upcoming season.
Prepare 1 solo selection of your choice:
- You may choose to do the exposition of a concerto or the entire movement, it is up to you.
- Try to avoid choosing obscure things, we would prefer things that are commonly performed on professional orchestral auditions ei. Violins, a solo Bach or a movement from a Mozart Violin concerto.
INSTRUMENTALISTS AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
Recorded Auditions for Instrumentalists: (excluding percussion)
Due to Covid restrictions, this year we are only accepting recorded submissions. Please read and follow the guidelines carefully for a recorded audition.
- Fill out our online audition application and request recorded submission, you can attach the recording link at the end of the application if you wish.
- We prefer video recordings.
- All excerpts must be recorded in one take, no splicing allowed.
- You solo selection can be recorded on a separate take or be recorded at a different time. For example, you can use a recording from a final recital that was previously recorded.
- We prefer recordings to be email to us, either using Drop Box, Google Docs or as an attachment file. Please make sure your file is compatible with a PC computer, and not MAC.
- Please included your name, instrument and a list of what you are applying for in an email or mailed along with your DVD.
- We will accept dvd recordings mailed to us but they must arrive on time to be considered.
CONDUCTORS AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
Special Requirements for Conducting Applicants
Video Recording Requirements
Fill out the online application and request a recorded submission. You can attach the link to your recordings at the end of the application if you wish.
- No more than 30 minutes total.
- Footage should be of rehearsals AND performances.
- Very important that you have footage in front of an ochestra.
- Applicants should show a variety of skills.
- Multiple selections if possible.
- Camera must be face on.
- Good quality audio recommended.
- Please include your name and list of what you are playing in an email or mailed in with your DVD.
- We prefer recordings to be emailed to us, either using Drop box, Google Docs or as an attachment file. Please make sure your recording is compatible with a PC computer and not MAC.
- Please clearly mark the DVD with applicant’s name, track titles and composer and title of each selection. (If sending a DVD)
PERCUSSIONISTS AUDITION REQUIREMENTS
Special Requirements for Percussionists
Please follow the instructions for your recorded submissions carefully. Your recorded submission must include the following:
- One (1) solo work.
- Three (3) timpani excerpts.
- Two (2) keyboard excerpts.
- One (1) snare drum excerpt.
- One (1) other standard excerpt.
- Please indicate if you have experience on drum set; if so, include an example on the audition recording (not required, but preferred).
- Please use standard orchestral excerpts.
- DVD is preferred for percussion applicants.
- Fill out the online application and indicate a recorded submission, you can attach the link to your audition material at the end of the application if you wish.
- It is preferred that material be email using either Drop Box, Google docs or as an attachment but you can mail a dvd if you prefer.
- Please include your name, instrument and what you are playing in an email or mailed in with your dvd.
- Should you choose to mail your material in, please send it to:
National Academy Orchestra
301 Bay Street South
Hamilton ON L8P 3J7
If mailing from out of the country, please make sure your package is declared as having no value. We will not pay duty or taxes on packages - they will be sent back.