Summer Session 2018:
Dates: Monday, June 18, 2018 to Sunday, August 19, 2018
An extraordinary opportunity for emerging young Canadian professional musicians to work alongside established professionals from Canada’s finest orchestras
- Resident orchestra of the Brott Music Festival, Canada’s largest orchestral music festival
- Guest Concertmasters | Guest Mentors | Guest Conductors | International Soloists
- Masterclasses | Seminars | Mock Auditions | Repertoire Sessions | Private Lessons
- Full orchestra session reflects a professional orchestra rehearsal & performance schedule
Financial & Eligibility
- NAO Apprentices receive a minimum of $430 CDN/week*
- Successful candidates are responsible for finding accommodations
- Applicants must be 18-30 years old and a post-secondary degree is preferred
- Open only to Canadian citizens or landed immigrants with a valid Social Insurance Number
- Andrew Lloyd Webber: Requiem
- John Rutter: Magnificat
- Holst: The Planets
- Peter Maxwell Davies: Orkney Wedding with Sunrise
- Mozart: Magic Flute (full opera)
- Mussorgsky/Ravel: Pictures at an Exhibition
- Sibelius: Symphony #5
- Bernstein: West Side Story (complete)
All positions open for strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion and conductors.
Live Audition Application Deadline: Friday, January 26th, 2018.
Recorded Audition Application Deadline: Friday, February 23rd, 2018.Apply Online
All excerpts and solo work are own choice. No accompanists please.
- One (1) solo work
- Four (4) contrasting orchestral excerpts
Special Instructions for Percussion Applicants Only:
You must include the following:
- One (1) solo work
- Three (3) timpani excerpts
- Two (2) keyboard excerpts
- One (1) snare drum excerpt
- One (1) other standard excerpt
- Please indicate if you have experience on drum set; if so, include an example on the audition recording (not required, but preferred)
- Please use STANDARD orchestral excerpts
- DVD is preferred for percussion applicants
Special Instructions for Conducting Applicants Only:
- Please complete our online application.
- There will be no live auditions for conductor applicants. Please send a list or repertoire you have conducted and a DVD demonstrating your skills.
- No more than 30 minutes total
- Footage can be rehearsal or performance or a combination of both
- Applicants should show a variety of skills
- Multiple selections if possible
- Camera must be face on
- Good quality audio recommended
- Please clearly mark the DVD with applicant’s name, track titles and composer and title of each selection.
When you sign-up using our Audtion Form, you will be asked your audition preference.
- CD or DVD recordings (Video preferred)
- Submissions by email.
- Submissions by URL link.
- One (1) track only, no splicing (does not apply for conductors)
- Full name & instrument
- Title and composer of each selection
Live Audition Locations & Dates*
All live auditions will be held in early January and February 2018. Actual dates and times will be posted on this site in early Dec 2017 as they become available.
Vancouver: Thursday, February 22nd
Calgary: Wednesday, February 21st
Winnipeg: Tuesday, February 20th
Toronto: Monday, February 12th and Tuesday, February 13th
Hamilton: By appointment
Ottawa: Sunday, February 25th
Montreal: Friday, February 23rd.
* subject to change